Pieria has a rich collection of monuments, the most important of which belong to the Byzantine or post-Byzantine period and are mainly churches or monasteries.
Most of them are to be found in southern Pieria in mountainous locations because it was safer in times of pirate raids and invasions.
The Church of the Presentation of the Virgin in the Temple (Eisodion Theotokou) in Old Petra Monastery dates from the 11th century.
The old Agiou Georgiou Monastery near Ritini is a post-Byzantine building from the end of the 15th century with wall paintings from 1494 and 1619.
The old Agiou Dionysiou Monastery on Olympus dating from the first half of the 16th century was a fortified complex with mills, metochi (outlying churches under the control of a monastery), wood saws and animals.
The new Agiou Dionysiou Monastery is located at the site of the old “Skala” Metochi near Litochoro. When the Germans destroyed the old monastery in 1943 the monastery was moved here.
The Church of Kimiseos Theotokou (Assumption of the Virgin) lies in Kontariotissa. It was founded just before the end of the first millennium and has interesting wall paintings.
The Church of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) lies in Vrontou and was originally built as a monastery at the beginning of the 18th century atop a large rock.
The Church of Agios Nikolaos situated in Palea Vrontou was rebuilt in 1876.
The Church of Agia Paraskevi in Ano Milia was built during the 17th century and according to tradition is the place where St. Kosmas Etolos taught.
The Church of Agios Athanasios in Ano Skotina was built in the 17th century and is adorned with fine wall paintings.
Finally, Pieria’s most well known monument is the Castle of Platamon on the southeastern slopes of Olympus. The castle was originally built by the Byzantines and was reworked by the Franks at the beginning of the 13th century. Today it has been restored and hosts concerts and other cultural events.
© 2010 Minimal Advertising
About Us | Advertising